Improving Employee Engagement at Your Hospital: 5 Tips for Hospital Managers
Stop what you’re doing for a minute and focus right here. Give me a few minutes of your time. Does the following exchange sound familiar to you?
HR Person #1: “So, how have you been?”
HR Person #2: “Busy! How about you?”
HR Person #1: “Insanely busy! I don’t even know where to start!”
HR Person #2: “Same here! I can’t seem to get anything done around here!”
At Award Concepts, we understand that HR professionals are very busy people. Your list of responsibilities is growing every day. We get that. Take a deep breath. Everything is going to be okay. We’re here to give you some simple, helpful tips to improve employee engagement in your workplace. Read on for some great tips.
1) Encourage open communication. Many managers are becoming very open, even sharing the financials of their departments because this shared knowledge can be a powerful tool. Let your employees know that they can ask you questions. Let them know what direction the hospital may be moving in. They’ll appreciate it.
2) Be supportive. Managers should assume employees are doing the right thing until proven otherwise. For example, when a patient complains about an employee, assume that person is “innocent until proven guilty,” but look into the situation. Talk to the employee about it. Listen to their side before making a judgement call.
3) Be accommodating. If there is an unique or unconventional way to meet employees’ pressing concerns, use it. Try to be flexible with any request for shift times or even something as simple as their lunch breaks.
4) Still keep a professional distance. Even as managers reach out to employees and try to be transparent, they need to keep their professional distance. Some information should not be shared, such as the manager’s dealings with other employees or with his or her own boss.
5) Support employee development. A manager should help employees be everything they want to be. Doing what they love to do will make them more productive.
Looking for more information? Contact a Healthcare Recognition Expert today. We have plenty of more tips for you.
Those who are interested in hospital management might consider USP online, which offers a masters in public health.
Connect With Us
Toll Free: 800-659-7801
Enroll In Our 1 Minute Manager
Daily reminders for managers that help towards building a culture of recognition in the workplace.
- How to Give a Great Recognition Speech - 45,804 views
- Ideas for Employee Appreciation and Recognition - 6,078 views
- Gift Suggestions for Nurses Week - 4,177 views
- Healthcare Theme Porcelain Figurines by Lladro - 3,948 views
- New Research Shows Non-Cash Incentives More Effective Than Cash - 2,704 views