Howdy y’all!!! Last year, I posted an article titled, “Thanksgiving Day 2010” and I’d like to continue the tradition…even if I’m a little late. In keeping with the tradition of providing you an opportunity to get to know me on a bit of a personal level while not talking much business, here it goes…
CHANGE. During the past two months, there has been a lot of change in my life and moving forward into 2012, it looks like there will continue to be a lot of change…and yet my piggy bank remains near empty. Let me provide some insight as to this change:
- Got engaged to a Southern Belle from Alabama.
- Accepted a new role with AC which brought me back to Chicago. Yeah…that might upset some of you Southerners that I’ve been calling on over the past few years, but the truth is I was born a Yankee and have always been one deep down, even though I loved my time in the South, I really missed home…so I was pretty thrilled to learn about this new opportunity. Please don’t hate on me too much as I will still oversee and manage the Southeast Region. This new position gives me additional territory while also getting me more involved with our marketing efforts and Software as a Service (SaaS) development.
- Rented “Martens Manor” aka my foreclosure rehab project of the last three years, aka my first home to whom appear to be “perfect renters”. A young couple named Gary and Rachel and Rachel’s daughter who is in the 10th grade. Rachel sends me text messages with pictures like…”check out what we did to the bar, I bet you miss this” and “Gary borrowed the power washer from work, the driveway looks new”. They signed a two year lease to remain in the same school district until Rachel’s daughter graduates high school. Did I mention, Rachel’s from the North…instant connection. Perfect renters.
- As part of the rental agreement, there were some items that needed to be completed to finish the renovation of Martens Manor. My dad came down to help. He wishes he hadn’t. We made a great team, but I think he’s still recovering from all the work. It is amazing the things that you live with(out) and then when it comes time to sell or rent your house you fix…why did I not make the repairs/improvements so that I could have enjoyed them??? Check out the before (at time of purchase) pics and after (at time of rental) pics on my facebook account.
- Moved back to Illinois and (temporarily) living with roommates that prefer to be called Mom and Dad.
- Got un-engaged to previously mentioned Southern Belle.
- Started my new role at AC early…the position doesn’t officially start until January 1, but after working from home for the past three years and setting my own hours/schedule, why would I not be anxious to go into the office 8-5 or 6 or 6:30 each day? Love my job.
- Currently in the process of re-branding Award Concepts. Want a description of who or what Award Concepts is? THE BEST. ‘Nuff said. Not enough said? Invite me to meet with you so I can explain further…send me an email.
- Oh yeah…I also moved my bank accounts from Bank of America. ;)
So, this Thanksgiving holiday, I am thankful for the change in my life. Both business and professional. The ups and the downs. As I write from my desk here at Award Concepts, knowing the change taking place within these walls, I’m excited about the new products and services we’ll soon be offering to our clients. It’s going to be a really fun year and I hope to meet and speak with each of you at some point in 2012…I have lots to talk about! Last year our “product turned awesome” was our Badge ACcent…this year we have a LOT to unveil!
Thank you for the opportunity to partner with you…I look forward to getting to know each of you on a more personal level over the years.
Carl H. Martens
Regional Sales Manager
ph: 630-513-7804 x233
Connect With Us
Toll Free: 800-659-7801
Enroll In Our 1 Minute Manager
Daily reminders for managers that help towards building a culture of recognition in the workplace.
- How to Give a Great Recognition Speech - 42,129 views
- Ideas for Employee Appreciation and Recognition - 5,749 views
- Gift Suggestions for Nurses Week - 4,156 views
- Healthcare Theme Porcelain Figurines by Lladro - 3,862 views
- New Research Shows Non-Cash Incentives More Effective Than Cash - 2,692 views